Monday, February 2, 2009

For Social Studies: Iraqi Women Run for Office!

In the article I read today, it talked about 4,000 Iraqi women in Baghdad running for office. These women are running for office because they have been neglected for many years and want to be a part of the government. According to the International Crisis Group, parties must have their third chair for a woman. Also, a woman named Nibras al-Mamuri, says that, "I've entered a battlefield where women have to prove they are competent, I have to forget about fear." In my opinion, that statement was very powerful because it shows that this woman, a canidate for this event, wants to prove that women can do anything and that she cannot be afraid. In addition, al-Mamuri thinks that Saturday's vote will improve women's position in society. Furthermore, activists say that women were pushed back into the Dark Ages of covering their faces from the public and being neglected because of the rule of Sadam Hussein. Another woman, named Rissala Khalid, said that, "Iraqi women form the core of society," which means that these women are more important than most people would assume because they are taking a chance at running for office and are able to come up with ideas for the government. She also believes that they have potential of becoming a great part of the government. In my opinion, this event is extremely important because I too, believe that these women of Baghdad can become a great part in the government. For example, they could help work out problems in their country and avoid having more fighting and killing take place. Additionally, their decisions could potentially help their society overall and make people more happy and more considerate. All in all, this is what I read in this article today and how I feel about it.
I found my article and picture from:

No comments: